Binning Singletons was excited to participate in the World Microbe Forum, a collaboration between the American Society for Microbiology, the Federation of European Microbiological Societies, and many more.
We debuted at ASM Microbe 2019, but a lot has happened since then. Here’s the quick version of what the program does.
- Identify the Singletons – if you are going to a meeting alone, for the first time, or otherwise feel like you don’t fit in, you’re a Singleton!
- Bin the Singletons – Using a metaphor from DNA sequencing analysis, we group Singletons together in small groups (bins), to provide support and camaraderie. The Singletons also get a Mentor, who acts as a meeting coach, to help the Singletons have a good meeting. This part will be more difficult with a virtual meeting and we don’t plan on making individual matches, but we’re going to be as supportive as possible.
- Horizontal Transfer – We use this to describe the information the Mentors share with the Singletons to help them have a better meeting. There is also exchange between the Singletons, who bring a variety of experiences to the group.
- Quorum Sensing – When we meet in real life, all the Singletons come together for a mixer, allowing Singletons to “Find their People” across the bins. These connections are important to create viable, vibrant networks. In a virtual setting, we’ll try to approximate this with our Meet-Ups.
- Exponential Growth – The Singletons take their new knowledge and networks and grow and thrive in the meeting, and into the future.
Events at the WMF
Binning Singletons will host an orientation meeting on June 20, 6:00-6:45 PM EDT. We’ll introduce you to the program, our curated itinerary, and some of the topics and mentors that will be the focus of our meet-ups throughout the meeting
Visit the sessions and posters on the Binning Singletons Curated Itinerary and win the board game Gut Check!
Binning Singletons Meet-Ups are 45 minute sessions in the Community Corner. We’ll have up to a few a day, focusing on community, career path, or other topics of interest.
- 🇵🇷 ¡Borinquen! – Dr. Karla Esquilín-Lebrón hosts a session for microbiologists with Puerto Rican heritage – June 21, 2021, 6:00 PM – 6:45 PM EDT
- 💞🧠 Taking Care of your Mental Health – PhD Balance’s Dr. Susanna Harris – June 21, 2021, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM EDT
- 🏳️🌈 LGBTQ+ – Dr. Juliet Johnston will host and moderate a session for members and allies of the LGBTQ+ communities – June 22, 2021, 9:00 PM – 9:45 PM EDT
- ↗🥼 Navigating a Career in Biotech: Jobs Beyond the Lab – Kaylee Mueller – June 23, 2021, 9:00 PM – 9:45 PM EDT
- 🇹🇷 Turkish Community – Dr. Devrim Kaya hosts a session for microbiologists with Turkish heritage, featuring Dr. Çağrı Mert Bakırcı – June 24, 2021, 9:00 AM – 9:45 AM EDT
- 👩🏿🔬🦠 Black Microbiologists Association – Dr. Ariangela Kozik, Dr. Kishana Taylor, and Dr. Chelsey Spriggs – June 24, 2021, 1:00 PM – 1:45 PM EDT
We hope you were able to join us at the World Microbe Forum!